A Message from Victoria
Welcome to Bikudesigns.
I'm Victoria Close, the founder and designer/creator, social media manager, website designer, accountant and chief kimono-sourcer.
7 things about me...
1. I’m what people consider a ‘self-taught jeweller’, even though I have trained in diamond setting, enamelling, granulation, wax casting, repoussé and chasing (etc.) The ‘self-taught’ bit comes in because I don’t have a degree in Metalsmithing (my degree is in Philosophy and English- very useful for designing jewellery!)
2. I live in Shimokitazawa in Tokyo, the place that provided the inspiration behind my brand. After WWII this area was well-known for the black market in American goods. To this day, a hangover from its past, it is known for its vintage and antique shops.
3. I come from a family of female entrepreneurs (both my grandmothers and my mum were shop-owners).
4. I started a jewellery business when I was 15 years old selling vintage bead jewellery.
5. One of my grandmothers was a milliner and one was a talented seamstress.
6. I recently found out that in the 19th Century, my ancestors were silk weavers, which totally blew my mind.
7. I re-purpose forgotten things because unused objects make me sad. My aim is to give them a new life.
Do you ever feel rushed to get to work in the morning or get yourself ready for the school run?
You need to feel confident and in control of your life, right? And feeling put together is an important part of how you approach your day. But who has time for that these days?
I design my pieces to be pop-on blasts of confidence from the wearability (comfortable, easy to put on) to the unique style, to the bold design and colour combinations. Pair your jewellery with a tee and jeans or dress them up for dinner in the evening. Each piece of jewellery works for any occasion.
OMIYAGE FUKUBUKURO COMING SOON! Subscribe to get in the loop here.